.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Demi Lovato: I Started Cutting Myself at Age 11

Demi Lovato
Demi Lovato just made a shocking confession--she started cutting herself when she was just 11 years-old.

The 18 year-old Disney darling spent the holidays at a rehab centergetting treatment for an eating disorder, among other issues. And now she's talking to ABC about her struggles.

"I've spoken openly about being bullied throughout the past few years, but one thing that I've never been able to feel comfortable talking about was the effects that it had on my life, afterwards," she said. "I literally didn't know why they were being so mean to me. And when I would ask them why, they would just say, 'Well, you're fat."

Her torment turned into a dangerous habit.

"I developed an eating disorder, and that's kind of what I've been dealing with ever since," she said.

At age 11, Demi began cutting herself -- intentionally self-mutilating her wrists as a way of coping with emotions.

"It was a way of expressing my own shame, of myself, on my own body," she told Roberts. "I was matching the inside to the outside. And there were some times where my emotions were just so built up, I didn't know what to do. The only way that I could get instant gratification was through an immediate release on myself."

She even confessed doing concerts on an empty stomach and how she lost her voice because of her addition. "I was losing my voice from purging. I was self-medicating. I was not taking medication for depression, and I literally was so emotionally whacked out that I took it out on someone that meant a lot to me."

Watch Demi's interview with ABC below. Hopefully Demi's confession can help other girls who are in similar situations seek help.